Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice fishing... Brrr... No fish

Ok, so far this year, I have not caught anything worthy of bragging about. I caught three tiny perch, that barely fit the hook in their mouths. I have nearly frozen, and then nearly cooked myself, not to mention my shanty was nearly lit on fire. So, one of these days, the fish are finally going to bite. I am going to try every chance I get, and eventually a salmon, will bite. I have seen two on the ice, one from a distance, and the other I got a photo.

We had a great party this weekend, out at the shanty, and had quite the gathering of friends. Even with the temperature dropping steadily, and a stiff wind out of the north. We managed to keep the wood stove going, and created a wind block with a tarp. I plan on getting out again tomorrow after school for a little bit, even if it is snowing horrendously. I am not afraid of a little snow. Maybe we will actually catch something.

We will see.

Saturday, Dad said he will come up and fish. So that means that Saturday could be our lucky day.

This is a quick peek in the shanty during the lunch hour. As you can see, there really isn't much room in there.
Everyone gathered on the downwind side of the shanty, out of hte wind, with our wonderful wind break that we fashioned out of metal conduit and a tarp.
And here is the guy who caught the salmon. He was fishing within spitting distance of the shanty. He was a nice guy, his name was dave. He was nice enough to share his genny light with me. what a guy. Anyway, he quickly determined the fish was not large enough for him, even if it was barely a keeper, so he released it.

Salmon surely would have been nice for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment