Saturday, January 31, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy...



The last few days have been off the wall crazy. I feel like I have ben running around everywhere. But a few of the highlights were going to see Brendan and Kayla's play about Lewis and Clark, trying an 8mm f2.8 Circular fisheye lens, snowshoeing to a very spectacular spot that plans are currently starting for a winter overnight, and visiting with Steve and Ally one last time before they are gone from VT for a while.


Brendan and Kayla's performance in their school musical of lewis and clark was a great show. I loved it. They seemed to very much enjoy what they had been doing, and I got a few great photos. The South Hero School seems to have a very good organization of their students to be able to have them all perform in a role, from kindergarten all the way up to 4th grade for a great performance, that was both entertaining and educational. The fisheye lens would not have made much sense for such a show, but may have made some interesting photos.

Yesterday I walked into Lezot's on Chruch street with the intention to see if they had a replacement dome diffuser for my sb-900. The guy at the register said no one enjoys those damn things, and that I should buy a different variety, but how does he get to tell me that I don't like what I was asking for. Anyway, needless to say, I guess I will just have to order from the web, rather than do business with them, but while I was in there I had to ask and see if they had any Super wide angle lenses, something that is rare in VT on the used market. Of course they had an 8mm F:2.8 cirular fisheye. This is a massive piece of glass. So large that my camera is almost completely hidden behind the lens. It was beautiful, but when I discovered the $3500 price tag on a lens that was almost 20 years old, I was then rather glad I hadn't a need for a fisheye. It was interesting, but I am not impressed with the circular portion... It would be a great special effects lens, but what would I use it for? Anyone have any thoughts? What would I use a Fisheye for other than the fun of it, and a very few wedding photos per year? I will still have my eye set for the 14mm F:2.8 rectilinear wide angle, which is a little more my taste both in price and aesthetics.


After a day in Burlington, I went for a quick snowshoe with Charlie. It was great, we discovered a spot that we would like to do some winter camping at, and potentially a spot for me to photograph and hunt Wood Ducks next fall. I am excited, and am looking forward to it. WOO HOO. It may wind up being a very cold night in the woods if we camp, but it would be interesting. Then, after a long day, to wrap it all up, last night I went down to the VT pub and brewery for a little bon voyage gathering with Steve and Ally. Steve got a cool job in DC working as a legislative correspondant or something like that, all just fancy wording for secretary. It was a great day, and I hope to have another long one soon.

Oh yeah, Mary I didn't forget about you. I know you are in there with your wonderful silver trap. Here is one of those enjoyable photos from the assemblage of the silver trap...

No comments:

Post a Comment