Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hole in the Ice

Last night I went on a 3.13 mile snowshoe trek. I carried my camera and other equipment, but never managed to pull it from my bag. Go figure. Anyway, I enjoyed a nice long trek, which took place, half in day light, half under moonlight. It was great. One of the highlights of the walk was when Charlie managed to find a weak area on the beaver pond we crossed. Charlie, has now managed to fall into water on two out of two snowshoeing trips we have taken. From now on, maybe I should lead. Anyway, it was cold enough that there was no time for Charlie to get wet, it just sort of froze. Charlie is fine, and we managed to get back around 6:30 last night. It was a great hike.

There are many great potential camp sites up there, and some possible fishing holes. I am anxious to explore as soon as the snow starts to disappear. I know all of that area will be amazing for wood ducks and mallards, come October. Hell, it may even be a decent area for snow geese, this spring. Well, take a peek for yourself, and tell me what you think about the possibility of snow geese up there.

Above is a rough idea of our hike with miles according to Google Earth. Also note the large marshy areas, and wet areas. There are several ponds up there, that would be more than worthy of a good waterfowl hunt. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment